Data Center Manager (Västerås and Katrineholm)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is growing rapidly, and we are looking for a Data Center Operations Manager to join our expanding Infrastructure Operations team in one of our sites in Västerås, Katrineholm or Eskilstuna.
We are currently expanding our infrastructure management team and we are looking for a manager with experience in people leadership, a strong technical understanding of data center operations and infrastructure, and the drive and vision to take AWS Data Center Operations into the future.
The Data Center Operations Manager is the leadership role for our compute operations teams within an AWS region. They will have managerial responsibility for safety, security, availability, scaling, costs and efficiency for their department. They lead the team that is installing, maintaining, and de-commissioning network and server equipment in a safe, secure and cost-effective manner across the region. The Data Center Operations Manager must manage across each function but also have the ability to dive deep into any given function as needed.
The successful candidate will be a highly driven, self-managed individual who demonstrates initiative and proactively seeks solutions to problems. The candidate will have an understanding of network and compute architecture and have experience managing repair requests in a high volume environment, as well as managing response to high severity events. They will have a strong track record of developing talent, and managing performance of their team and organization. They will be creating, tracking and controlling budgets; strategically planning through use of metrics; sponsoring, reporting and delivering large projects while proposing technical solutions to complicated problems. This position requires a candidate with the proven ability to drive continuous improvement and the ability to keep pace with our explosive growth while motivating others to meet the challenges of an extremely deadline-driven environment. While not required, an understanding of critical Electrical & HVAC systems is desired.
· Lead and supervise a team of Data Center Technicians which is installing, maintaining and decommissioning network and server hardware
· Oversee the safety, security, availability, quality, and performance of the team, while driving a positive customer experience
· Strategic planning and forecasting; manage team and individual performance; delivering performance reviews, and address staffing needs
· Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and procedures
· Mentor, train and develop career progression for direct reports and members of the organization
· Obsess over team learning and development, both from a technical/functional and soft skills (critical thinking, emotional intelligence, and adaptability) development perspective
· Coordinate support of change management resources in partnership with electrical and mechanical operations teams
· Develop, improve, and share operational best practices across the region and with peers globally
· 3+ years of experience in Data Center Operations or similar roles
· 2+ years building strong, successful technical teams in a similar culture
· Team, organizational and planning skills, as well as stringent time management skills to balance workloads in a complex and dynamic environment, organization and detail-orientation
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills
· Proven track record of success in delivering complex projects
· Prior ownership of the operation of a mission-critical team and/or product
· Ability to consistently deliver results despite competing priorities and distractions
· Experience with collecting and reporting key performance metrics and/or data modeling to continuously measure and improve operational status quo
· 5+ years of cumulative experience with information technology infrastructure domains such as compute server platforms, storage server platforms, server components, network devices, cabling best practices and IT service delivery principles and best practices
· Understanding of critical Electrical, HVAC and control systems
· Technical depth to pass at least one of our Network Engineer, Systems Engineer or Developer Support Engineer skill set
· Appropriate Security and Safety awareness
· Project Management Experience
· Capacity planning and budgetary experience.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.